whoa charcoal

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New York Crumb Cake...


I love Cake. I also really like crumbs. So eating the two together just seemed natural to me :) This crumb cake is a Martha Stewart recipe and happens to be the first Martha recipe I have ever made. This seems really odd to me that up until now I hadn't even looked at one of her recipes. You would think, being the domestic diva that she is, I would have at least rummaged through her extensive recipe box! Do you think I could find a way to squeeze one more "recipe" into this paragraph?


Anyways back to the Crumb Cake. I am not a native New Yorker nor have I ever been to New York. So I am in no way an expert on judging a real New York Crumb Cake. However I figured Martha had to know what she was talking about. Right? Well I was not disappointed! It wasn't too sweet and had the perfect amount of Crumb on top for me. The only thing I will do different next time is add a little more cinnamon. I like my crumbs to be extra cinnamony :) This would pair nicely with a cup of black coffee and would also be a nice a.m. treat for overnight guests.



New York Crumb Cake


2 Tablespoons canola oil

4 cups flour ; divided

1/2 cup sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

2 sticks butter, melted and cooled

confectioners’ sugar


Whisk together 1 1/2 cups of flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and set aside. In a large bowl wish together the egg, milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix until it just comes together. Grease a 9x13 pan. Spread battler evenly and set aside. Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a bowl and whisk. Add the melted butter and mix until it forms large crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the batter. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. When the cake has cooled all the way sprinkle with confectioners sugar. YUM

1 comment:

  1. Yum - this looks like the Entemann's crumb cake my mom used to get from the grocery store. But I bet it tastes a lot better!

    ReplyDelete