whoa charcoal

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Growing roots......


Since that's the name of this blog I figure a little talk about "growing" would be appropriate. Over the past couple of years I have been doing a lot of work on me. Trying to really get to know my self and be the person that I want to be. Not the person everyone else wants me to be. But just like in gardening if you are trying to grow as a person, family, or friend you need to take care of yourself and your crops. It takes a lot of hard work. Tilling the soil, watering, pruning, and weeding. First you need to pick a good environment for your garden. A spot where it can get a lot of sun. Next comes the soil. You need to surround your plants with good, healthy, nutritious loamy soil. Then comes the watering. Your plants can't grow with out those 3 key ingredients. Once you're garden has started to grow then comes the hard stuff. Do you let the weeds take over and settle for a smaller crop? Or do you pick through the weeds and have a happy healthy garden? Do you let those cute, bouncy, and sneaky little bunnies eat your greens? Or do you find a way to happily coexist while keeping your greens for yourself? There are always going to be "weeds" and "bunnies"in life . There is no way to avoid them but you do have a choice in how you deal with them. Do you let them control your garden? Bringing it down with them. Or do you take control and make your garden what you want?

For a while now I have been growing my garden. It wasn't until the past couple of weeks that I opened my eyes and saw what was going on in there. I have been letting the "weeds" and "bunnies" run the show. Letting them dictate how things are going to go. That is a huge problem when you are trying to grow. Now that I have realized what is going on I have to make some changes. Fortunately for me, T and I are both the type of people who deal with change easily. Once we realize there is a problem we HAVE to fix it. It's just our nature.

I thought I had been picking the weeds but now I realize I haven't. They have absolutely no place or right to be in my garden reeking havoc. We will have extra "weed patrol's" on duty from here on out. ;) .The bunnies on the other hand. I love the bunnies. My kids love the bunnies. The bunnies make me and my kids happy. (Except when they are nibbling on my lettuce) I enjoy watching the bunnies hopping around with there babies, Eating the grass in my yard and chasing each other. They don't know that by nibbling on my plants they are causing upset. They are just doing what they know. The last thing I want to do is hurt the bunnies but it's time they hopped their cute little cotton tails out of my garden and back into the yard. I guess the best way to live happily with them is to put up a little fence. That way we can still enjoy each other without the loss of their home here or my lettuce.

Tending to the garden isn't always going to be fun or easy. I do know that if I take good care of it we will have a happier, healthier, more fruit full crop when its time to harvest. That my friends, I think is worth the hard work!

2 comments:

  1. That was the best analogy of growing ourselves I've ever read! I am proud of the way you have grown when the easiest thing would be to live in the past & blame our lack of growth on others. Comparing your growth to your gardens growth was amazing! Negativity is weeds in our garden, if we don't get rid of the weeds, they will choke all positive out! I've been watching your garden grow and I'm so proud of you! Love MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Setting boundries helps the bunnies know where they can't go. It creates a more harmonious garden. :)
    Mom's sidekick

    ReplyDelete