whoa charcoal

Saturday, May 15, 2010

How does your garden grow?

I've never been much of the gardening type but I've always thought it looked like fun. The whole idea just really intimidated me. I know NOTHING about growing things and NOTHING about keeping them alive. I never wanted to put the time into it and then watch everything die. So instead I have avoided the whole thing. Not planting anything in my yard that required any work other than maybe the occasional water. Oh and nothing that flowered. I didn't want the embarrassment if my flowering plant didn't flower. I have been happy with my blah bland yards up until this year. Once spring hit I found my self craving color. I started admiring all the pretty flowering trees and the cute yellow and orange tulips. That's when I realized that I'm bored with my boring yard. I needed to do something about it!

I went out and bought a few flowering plants. Just a couple to start with. I didn't want to get in over my head. Two of my favorites, Hydrangea's and Lavender. I am pleased to say that they are still alive and thriving. My Hydrangeas are popping up with new blooms all the time. I love it!

These are the rhodies that were here before we moved in. They didn't bloom last year. I'm not sure why but they didn't . I'm happy to see them coming out right now!

After I got a little color color going on I started thinking about a vegetable garden. It's something I've always wanted to do, but like I said before, was intimidated by. With the encouragement of a few family members. I decided to go ahead and dive into the world of vegetable gardening. T bought and built the raised bed. Then went out and got the soil. I took the kids and picked out the seeds. Like with the flowers I wanted to start small. We planted a row of romaine lettuce. Then waited. 7 days later we had action. To my surprise the seeds actually grew into little teeny tiny lettuce starts! Since then the kids and I have planted our bed with Onions, Zuchini, Bell Peppers, Snap Peas, Green Beans, and more lettuce. I get so excited to go out to the garden every day and see the new growth. Its incredibly rewarding! Nothing like I thought it would be but better. Its fun for K and M too. They got to plant their own rows and like checking on the progress. I cant wait untill we can actually eat what we've grown!

"Peppers after enjoying a bath"

"Onions making their debut"


5 comments:

  1. The gardening is looking good! And your flowers are gorgeous! Keep up the good work :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a hidden talent..gardening! BEAUTIFUL flowers & great pictures. Im proud of you for trying new things babygirl. Maybe you should look into photography next. Those pictures were Great! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know 3 beautiful flowers that you have raised with love, that have melted my heart with their love and beauty. I am amazed at what you do know about growing things. You are truely an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! R really wants "his" garden to be a veggie garden. I should probably "help" him get on that. :) And seriously, I still love the M-day pic of you and M. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty flowers! The weather in Chicago is great today - here's hoping it sticks around!

    ReplyDelete